He's also lead productions for Cornell University, Duke University, University of Miami–Ohio, University of Massachusetts–Amherst, Illinois State University, and San Diego State University (SDSU). Since 1997, he has served at SDSU as Head of Acting; Director of the School of Theatre, Television, and Film; and Director of Community Engagement and Innovation. Native Voices at the Autry, which Randy co-created and serves as the Producing Artistic Director, is the resident theatre company at La Jolla Playhouse.
(For a full PDF version of Randy's curriculum vitae click here)
San Diego State University
Professor, returned to faculty 2015 - present
Director of Community Engagement and Innovation 2012 - 2015 *
Director, School of Theatre, Television and Film 2007 – 2012 **
Professor, Head of Performance 2004 – 2007
Adjunct Professor, American Indian Studies 2004 - present
Tenured, Associate Professor, Head of Performance 2001 - 2004
Assistant Professor, Head of Performance 1997 – 2001
Illinois State University, Assistant Professor, tenure track 1993 - 1997
Duke University, Lecturer, one-year appointment 1992 - 1993
Santa Monica College, Lecturer 1991 - 1992
California State University, Los Angeles, Lecturer 1988
Director of Community Engagement and Innovation
- Founding team member, conceived and launched, Arts Alive SDSU serving over 100,000 art-patrons on-campus in 2014 -2015.
- Curriculum development and innovation within the academic units of the College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts (PSFA), partnering with the College of Extended Studies (CES) to create new degrees, certificates, classes, and programs strengthening community/ regional partners.
- Supporting strategic initiatives across the campus, increasing the stature of SDSU academically and culturally to create high demand opportunities for students and faculty in the areas of:
- Small business incubation
- Sustainability programs and innovation
- Special projects to strengthen community / PSFA college connections
- Created a working business plan to increase performance metrics and impact of the SDSU Downtown Gallery.
- Other duties included particular emphasis on development opportunities and student recruitment
Director of School of Theatre, Television, and Film (TTF), Major Accomplishment
- Annual operating budget of approximately $2,500,000 (TTF)
- Served approximately 6,200 students annually, with an average of 700 majors, minors and graduate students.
- Accomplished with 17 tenure/tenure track faculty, 12 temporary faculty, and 11 full-time staff members.
- Revised, passed and implemented new certificate in Business and Production Aspects of the Entertainment Industry, new curriculum for Television, Film and New Media in Critical Studies, a curriculum revision for Television, Film and New Media in Production, and a curriculum revisions in General Theatre Arts Program, Emphasis in Design and Technology for the Theatre, Emphasis in Design for Television and Film, Emphasis in Performance, Emphasis in Youth Theatre as well as TFM and Theatre minors.
- Further integrated previously separate areas of the school for shared lower division foundation courses
- Increased productivity of large enrollment courses that serve as the financial backbone for TTF and relieve FTE pressure on skills acquisition courses
- Further integrated graduate student instruction into lower division courses
- Increased Public awareness of SDSU School of Theatre, Television, and Film through:
- Annual production season of 6 plays, 4 student plays and 4 film festivals earning more than $100,000 annually and serving over 12,000 audience members
- Increased public presentations of work from the film area by adding additional film festivals on campus, throughout San Diego and at the DGA in Los Angeles
- Coordination with key faculty to develop on-line distribution of live webcasting of major events like President Carter’s annual fundraiser for Habitat for Humanity, San Diego Ballet, Live from the Belly Up Concerts
- Developed social media components to enhance PR and Marketing efforts for the School and College